Thursday, May 19, 2011

Lykke Li Review, some other records I´ve been grooving to

Hi All!

Welcome to 2nd edition of Music All Around! This time it´s review time of some records I´ve been grooving to and some tips for the weekend:)

As for the tips in Helsinki, there´s rave going on in Alppipuisto on saturday 12-22. Alppipuisto is nice place and the party is worth checking out if the weather´s good. After that you can goto Säde vs Mindcore all hardcore party in Playground. At Cable Factory is In Search Of Sunrise party with Ruichard Durand, Gareth Emery, Cosmic Gate, First State and Alex Kunnari. Tickets are cheap for once, only 16€. At Bassment is House Party with usual suspects. There are some tips worth mentioning for the weekend.

So there are some tips for weekend. And now it´s time for first ever review of this blog and the honour goes to Lykke Li!

Wounded Rhymes

Second cd from this talented swede. I fell in love with Youth Novels right away when I first heard it. It was so beautiful record and fascinating. This second album took more time to listen to before I fell for it. That´s alaways a good sign on record! And oh boy beautiful album it is. Bit heavier on rhythms than Youth Novels, but excellent follow up. Slight changes only has been made to soundscapes and Lykke has learnt to use more of her voice. You can hear that she´s now more experienced singer. Soudscapes don´t disappoint if you loved the first album. They are still same simplistic material but still so beautiful and fascinating. I honestly didn´t know what to expect after such a wonderful album as YN was, but this is excellent follow up. We sure can expect big things for Lykke.

Lykke Li - Get Some from Wounded Rhymes

Today I´ve been going back to trip-hop side of things. I guess I just needed something easier than that heavy-banging European hardcore for a chancge. And my doggies propably also appreciate the change. Right now I´m listening to Tricky
Maxinquaye is the only Tricky album that blew me away. Angels With Dirty Faces went too far for me and rest just didn´t have that magic that this one does. I also listened to the special edition with remixes, but I recommend to be wary with it. Remixes didn´t do much for me, Alex Reece´s remix was the only good one. So if you ask me, get the original one cd edition of this. This is honestly an important album for trip hop and true classic. Paranoid with Tricky´s smokey voice combined with Martina Topley bird´s woulnerable vocals creates an unique atmosphere. There really hasn´t been album that would be comparable to this one. Closest would be Portishead, since they share the similar paranoia. And also featuring on this album is Ragga, which you really should get to know more. Get Ragga And The Jack Magic Orchestra cd if you like trip hop. It´s one of the greatest albums ever made, truly unique album full of magic.

Tricky Hell Is Around The Corner


Tricky Brand New You´re Retro Alex Reece Remix

And for Portishead, I found this album also from Dortmund last month.


I almost forgot how I love this album. I remember when it came out and I first heard it. It was like nothing I´ve ever heard before. A bit like Massive Attack, but much more darker and sinister. One of those albums you went what the hell is this!?! Still it sounds as fresh as it did years back, truly timeless album. The second album is also truly amazing album, but I guess this is the album for me, because it came out in that particular period of my youth. It just hit me because I was going through some dark times then, so this was perfect soundtrack for that.

Portishead - Wandering Star

Portishead - It´s A Fire


In the next edition, I´ll review Kate Bush´s Director´s Cut, Final Fantasy and some dance music

No comments:

Post a Comment