Friday, September 16, 2011

Night Of The Hunters review!!


Hi all!

I am more than honoured to have the honour of being first finn to review Night Of The Hunters cd. Big thank you goes out to Universal Music for trusting me enough to send the cd in advance!

I first have to be honest, I don´t like classical music at all. To me it´s too difficult and art for art´s sake. So I was bit sceptical of this album when I heard it has influences from classical music. And another thing to get out of the way is that I absolutely love the booklet! The photos are stunning and beautiful! They have same theme as the album which is just perfect. All the styling on both Tori and Tash si really cool and the photos would make perfect pictures to hang on the wall.

As for the album, Anabelle is second person on the record, whom Tori meets and teams with. Anabelle´s parts are sung by Tash who sounds really like Emiliana Torrini. These dialogues between these two women work like charm. I just also love the flute and the string arrangements, they are really strong. Battle Of Trees opened up bit too close to classical to my liking but moved onto Tori realm and blew me away. It is not easy pop album, so don´t even expect that. It might take couple of listenings to get into but it is worth it. I dare to say this is the closest album Tori has made to Pele and Under The Pink. Some songs reminded me a bit of Not The Red Baron and other slower songs from those records. There isn´t that same anger here, but melodies, strings and structurually it reminds of those two. And atmospherically also. I´d say this is one of the records that will divide fans to those who like it and to those who don´t.

Most radio friendly song on the album has to be Job´s Coffin which is sang by Tash. That song wouldn´t even be out of place on Emiliana Torrini´s album Fisherman´s Woman. Also from Tash´s voice comes Adele to mind. I know some fans are sceptical of her singing on this album, but give it a go, she does bloody good job!

Only minus thing on Night Of The Hunters is that, it´s not much varied album. All the songs remind eachother, but are enough different from eachother to keep things evolving and interesting.

The melodies, ah the melodies are strong and string arrangements compliment the piano and Tori´s voice perfectly. Whole album is at best midtempo cd, so gone is anger from American Doll Posse. As for Tash singing, I think she´s doing really well, she´s got beautiful voice. It was quite bold move to let her sing on this album and it pays off.

Overall absolutey beautiful, eventhough quite heavy album with really beautiful booklet:) Can´t wait for the Helsinki concert! And as reminder, remember there´s a tour opening party at Cafe Helsinki starting at 15.30. Urheilukatu 36, across the street from tram stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment